Compassion Child Sponsorship.
Compassion child sponsorship works. It confronts the complexity of poverty, addressing the spiritual, economic, social, physical and emotional needs of every child. For a child, Compassion child sponsorship works by providing safe places to play and laugh, the chance to see doctor when they’re sick, access to education and the chance to discover Jesus’ incredible love for them. All of this and more equates to a bright future so that they and eventually their own children, can live free from the grip of poverty.
By becoming a sponsor, you have the unique opportunity to invest in the life of a child. Your sponsored child will have one sponsor: you. Your role in their life is vital. If a child knows they are loved and supported by you it will help them grow in their faith, develop self-confidence and dream big for their future. That's why Compassion will encourage you to write to your sponsored child—we see the impact your words of hope can accomplish in the life of a child.
To find out more about Compassion’s Child Sponsorship Program, view the following e-booklet link or read the information below.
Compassion child sponsorship. It works. At its heart are three fundamentals that together make child sponsorship a long-term solution to poverty: Christ, the Church and you.
Compassion child sponsorship works because of CHRIST. He is the reason Compassion exists, and the reason Australians nationwide give generously and faithfully so that children can be released from poverty. Through Christ, lives are transformed.
Compassion child sponsorship works because of the CHURCH. In countries where Compassion exists, it’s the local church who works day in and day out to identify and meet the individual needs of children living in poverty. Through the ministry of their local church, children are shown and given the chance to respond to the love of Christ.
Compassion child sponsorship works because of YOU. It works because of sponsors who believe every child deserves to eat nourishing food, drink clean water, go to school and have hope for the future. Through child sponsorship, you have the unique opportunity to show a child living in poverty they are loved and cherished.
Developing, discipling and equipping children for life
In partnership with Compassion, local churches in developing countries deliver the Child Sponsorship Program and aim for a child to be:
- Physically healthy and make good decisions about their health
- Motivated with skills to be economically self-supporting
- Able to interact with others in a healthy and compassionate manner
- Given the opportunity to hear the gospel message
Basic sponsorship costs $44 per month and provides the child you sponsor with opportunities and services such as:
- Christian teaching as part of the ministry of Compassion’s local church partners who deliver and administer our programs.
- Learning opportunities—this can include school attendance, regular participation in alternative educational activities as well as opportunities to learn life skills.
- Health treatment and training—this includes regular physical examinations, dental care, vaccinations and referrals to appropriate medical professionals. It also includes teaching about physical and dental hygiene, exercise, nutrition and preventive health care strategies.
- Socio-emotional development—this includes opportunities for children to learn social skills, grow emotionally, be a part of a team, encourage and support one another, and participate in group activities that can include excursions, camps, art, drama and dance.
- Materials, supplies and activities—this can include hygiene supplies, project supplies, snacks and any necessary food or supplemental nutrition required, fees or associated costs of excursions, camps, drama, art and dance activities.
- Individualised care and attention—this consists of progress reports and attendance records, health records, home visits by social workers, and adult supervision in a safe and loving environment.
Sponsorship PLUS costs $56 per month and provides your sponsored child with all the necessities of basic sponsorship, but also provides for initiatives and activities carried out in child development centres where needed, including:
- Toilets, hygiene and clean water—including wells and water purification systems
- Disaster relief following a natural disaster such as an earthquake or flood
- Education and training programs for parents of sponsored children
- Emergency medical care and/or surgery
- Extra nutritional support where necessary
- Extra support for orphans and highly vulnerable children
- HIV/AIDS initiatives—including education, prevention and treatment
- Income generation for parents
- Infrastructure such as improvement to child development centres
- Immunisations and malaria-prevention activities
- Support for registered children not yet sponsored
- Vocational training and non-formal education
Because funds are pooled, the most critical needs are addressed first. The more funding we receive for Sponsorship Plus, the more Compassion Australia is able to commit to continued future support of these activities. While we cannot guarantee that funds from Sponsorship Plus will directly benefit your sponsored child, they will most likely benefit from at least one of the initiatives or activities Sponsorship Plus provides throughout their time in the Compassion program.