The effects of poverty are devastatingly unfair, and often unexpected. Because every obstacle that can hinder the healthy development of a child cannot be predicted in advance, Critical Interventions provide solutions to needs that exceed the reach of our other programs: Child Survival Program, Child Sponsorship Program and Leadership Development Program.
Our Critical Interventions aim to remove any obstacles that stand in the way of a child’s healthy development and their ability to reach their full potential. These barriers can include:
- Inadequate sanitation
- Natural disasters
- Health epidemics
- Issues directly affecting an individual child's family, such as a parent's unemployment.
In response to the specific needs of a child and their community, our Critical Interventions include:
- Toilets, hygiene and clean water, including wells and water purification systems
- Disaster relief following a natural disaster such as an earthquake or flood
- Education and training programs for parents of sponsored children
- Emergency medical care and/or surgery
- Extra nutritional support
- Extra support for orphans and highly vulnerable children
- HIV/AIDS initiatives, including education, prevention and treatment
- Income generation assistance for parents
- Infrastructure such as improvement to child development centres
- Immunisations and malaria prevention activities
- Support for registered children not yet sponsored
- Vocational training and non-formal education
Because we believe that poverty is best addressed through the transformation of the individual child, Critical Interventions are provided alongside Compassion’s programs, not as stand-alone community development activities. These interventions are also funded separately, not through contributions to our one-to-one Child Sponsorship Program.
You can contribute to our Critical Interventions by:
- Supporting Sponsorship Plus by adding an additional $12 to your monthly child sponsorship
- Giving a one-off donation or contributing reguarly to Critical Interventions
- Giving a one-off donation to our End of Financial Year Appeal
- Purchasing a gift from the Gifts of Compassion catalogue
- Funding a specific intervention. Please contact a member of the Church and Partner Relations team for more information at email@example.com or call 02 4935 5000 / 1300 22 44 53.