Latest Compassion Update
Last updated 04 Nov, 2021
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected many of the countries that Compassion works in. The impact of the virus has looked different for each child development centre. Our local church partners adapted our programs to meet the varying guidelines of their local government while continuing to provide holistic support to every registered child.
Many centres have now resumed normal activities or are operating at a reduced capacity by gathering in smaller groups. At times, some centres were temporarily closed to group activities. In these cases, local staff maintained regular contact with children and their caregivers through home visits or phone calls where possible. They also delivered medical supplies, hygiene kits, extra food, clean water and other resources to help families.
In some countries, delivering and writing letters between sponsors and children has been delayed. But be encouraged—children continue to pray for their sponsors and can't wait to read their letters and write replies. Watch some heartfelt messages from children to sponsors below.
How you can pray
Thank you for lifting up children and families around the world who are impacted by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic—and the local staff and churches who continue to serve them in difficult circumstances.
- With social distancing practised and social events cancelled, pray that God will raise up a new chapter of building meaningful, deeper relationships with each other. Pray that God’s kindness and love will be on display in every nation and every walk of life.
- Pray for nations where food crises are following on the heels of isolation measures, as people lack access to sufficient clean water and food. Ask God to provide their daily bread and meet their needs.
- Pray for the Lord to protect the health of people who live in poverty, as they are the least able to socially isolate themselves or choose alternative work arrangements. Pray for children registered with the program in this season of sickness. Ask the Lord to place a hedge of protection over the children and their families.
- Lift up health workers, hospitals, administrators and decision-makers to God as they respond to the pandemic. Pray for protection, wisdom and hearts of compassion for the most vulnerable.
- Pray for wisdom and resilience for churches across the globe, as they live out His love in faith. May the Lord be their strength and guide as they respond to the challenges of the virus facing their communities and churches.
- Pray for Compassion supporters and sponsors all over the world. May each of them be surrounded by the grace, love and mercy of Jesus Christ. Ask the Lord to hold their hands and lead them.
Thank you for praying with us!